Monday, September 8, 2008

Time really does fly

It's been four days since my last post but it seems like 20 minutes. Time really does fly whether or not you are having fun. It is that notion I wish to address.

I remember with vivid clarity each of the days my children were born. There are four of them and they were born a while back so it is amazing to me that those days are burned in my memory. I have an especially clear memory of driving to the hospital to deliver Adam and thinking, "oh my, I've waited too late" as an especially painful contraction gripped me. I remember that my water broke with Taylor and Leah. His as I sat on the toilet in the middle of the night and hers as I sat on the bed after getting up for the toilet in the middle of the night. Ryan's was an especially frightening delivery due to a prolapsed cord and a heartbeat that briefly disappeared.

What does any of this have to do with time flying? Well, I'll tell you. Time slows and, in fact, seems to stand perfectly still when momentous events are happening. There is often clarity of memory and emotion as these events occur that stick with you for a lifetime. The rest is mundane and forgettable. Barely causing a blip in the synapses of our brains before our brains move on to the next forgettable event.

I wish that I had paid more attention to the mundane. I wish that I had considered more events in my life "momentous" for in reality life is made of small moments that are precious. Babies become small children and then become young adults so fast it will make your head spin. Three of my children are now in college and live away from my home. I'm trying very hard to enjoy each moment with the child I have left but soon she too will be gone from me. It is the natural progression of parenting and anything less than that is a sadness. Nonetheless, I would like for time to slow down a bit. I don't want to look at the calendar and realize many days have passed and so have opportunities to enjoy those days.

So, since time flies I wish for an awareness of how precious is the time I have and a chance to fully enjoy all the blessings God has given. For that, it is never too late.

Kathy

No comments: