Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Put the Oxygen Mask on Yourself First

You know that moment on the airplane, just before they take off, when there's that very boring speech about how to buckle a seat belt (duh) and where the emergency exits are located?  At some point the flight attendant pulls out an oxygen mask and shows how to extend the rubbery headband that keeps it in place so you can place it over your mouth and nose.  Somewhere in there a very important point is made.  You must put the oxygen mask on yourself first and then help your children.  You must have oxygen before you can help others.  Imagine it.....the plane dips scarily, the masks drop down (due to a change in pressure or altitude or what ever the reason....like everyone else, I'm reading a magazine  when this is explained) and you panic.  You look around to be sure it's not just your oxygen mask that dropped.  You spend a little time asking "what's going on?!?!?"  And finally you remember that there is something you need to do with the mask.  Your kids need oxygen and you need to help them put the oxygen on but by this time you're feeling a little short of breath yourself and on the edge of passing out.  If you go down there will be no one to take care of your kids. 

I don't know about you but this is how I felt....frequently....when my kids were little.  The plane was shaky, the masks were dangling, I was trying to figure out what was going on and the edges of my vision were going black.  I was going down.

Here is what saved me....I learned to take care of myself.  I got sleep when I could.  I tried to eat healthy.  I asked others to step in when I needed a break.  I had friends I could count on to support me and understand me.  I wouldn't have made it without them (Sherry, you know what I'm talking about).  I tried to raise independent children that wouldn't be dragging on my hemline when they were twenty years old.  But mostly I just learned to be in tune with my own needs and I took care of me. 

Moms have a lot of pressure.....a lot on their plates.  You know those circus guys that spin plates?  Well, I am a master (mistress) spinner.  Sometimes you gotta have help spinning and sometimes you gotta be okay with a plate falling.  Sometimes you just lay one down and keep moving forward. 

The thing I want you to know is you are not alone.  Remember where your strength comes from.....sometimes a good strong cup of coffee and always from God.  (Philippians 4:13)

No comments: