Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Wisdom from Marian Wright Edelman

Marian Wright Edelman is one of my heroes. I had the privilege of hearing her speak several months ago. Her passion for children and justice was a wonder to behold. Ms. Edelman was the first African American lawyer admitted to the bar in Mississippi and is a long time civil rights activist. In 1973 she founded the Children's Defense Fund, an organization that serves as an advocate and voice for poor, minority and handicapped children. Her life is a testimony to service and I admire her enormously.

She has said many things that I find to be truth but today this one really sticks with me:

"If you as parents cut corners, your children will too. If you lie, they will too. If you spend all your money on yourselves and tithe no portion of it for charities, colleges, churches, synagogues, and civic causes, your children won't either. And if parents snicker at racial and gender jokes, another generation will pass on the poison adults still have not had the courage to snuff out."

I've said many times that it takes courage to be a parent. It would seem as though Marian Wright Edelman agrees.
Kathy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diane Huff here...I totally agree and being that courageous parent never ends.