Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Sweet Spot

Think about your primary relationship. All of our relationships are important, certainly, but some take precedence. So, which of your relationships is the most important?

I was in Abilene at Homecoming one weekend in October. Jeff was unable to join us as he was travelling overseas on business. He had been gone the entire week before we left and was due to return on Saturday. We were driving home from Abilene on Sunday. Saturday afternoon it occurred to me that he was going to be home and I was going to be 7 hours away. Suddenly, I was desperate to be home. I turned to my children (who attend school in Abilene) and said, "Would it be terrible of me to go home this afternoon? I really miss your dad". Taylor looked affronted and replied, "Do you love him more than you love us?"

Well, my mouth said, "of course, I love you all" but my mind was thinking, "YES, you left me, as you should, and he never will". It started me thinking about the primary relationships in my life. My children, my parents and extended family, my friends are all very important to me but my spouse is my primary relationship. He is the one who fills my life with joy and laughter and peace. He is the other half of my heart and my home. He is the person who loves and forgives me the most. I shudder to think what my life would have been like without him and I thank God, every day, that he is mine.

When our second son left for college it occurred to us that we gave birth to four children in five years and we will lose them all in five years. In August of 2004 we had four children at home and in September of 2009 we will have none. In light of that, I cannot tell you how happy I am that my primary relationship is thriving. While our children will grow up and move on, as they should do, we will continue to love and grow together. This is what we call "the sweet spot" :)
Kathy

No comments: