Friday, March 27, 2009

Smoking

I know I just posted but this has to be said!

Last night my husband and I dined 'al fresco' (that means outside, in case you didn't know). We were surrounded by young people smoking cigarettes. They were all over 21 because they were also drinking but it was the cigarettes that bothered me.

I don't judge older people who smoke. After all, no one knew it was harmful or addictive for many years. During WWII the military gave cigarettes out in MREs, for goodness sake. People who started smoking years ago have my sympathy for I believe it is a powerful addiction.

People who start smoking now have my disgust, to be honest. Everyone knows that smoking is addictive and deadly. It ages you horribly, makes you breath stink and teeth yellow, and it's expensive. Young people who smoke really hack me off. Do they not realize that they are contributing to the pollution of our land with their butts and smoke? Do they not realize the future health problems they will burden society with? Have they not heard of the dangers of second and third hand smoke? I think these young people realize very well and they don't care.

What they care about is looking "cool". They blew smoke up in the air with a practiced nonchalance that made me want to walk over to their table, grab the cigarette out of their hand and smack 'em upside the head. What I really wanted to say is, "What are you thinking? Do you not realize what you are doing to your body and your health? Do you have the sense God gave you to give up this terrible habit that has absolutely no redeeming value? Are you just stupid?"

Fortunately, Jeff stopped me.
Kathy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaaaaaa-men!Aaaaaaaaa-men!!!! And that doesn't count how bad it is for all of us with ASTHMA!!!!