Thursday, March 21, 2013

Gross


TELL THE TRUTH, Samsung Flat Monitor, Giovanni Fcb, Samsung, Print, Outdoor, Ads

I almost don't want to put this picture on the blog because it will be in the cycle for icon when I post but I'm not sure how else to make my point without the visual.   My  point?  This is gross.
 
 
This Samsung ad is disturbing on so many levels.  In case you can't read it the caption above says "Tell the truth. don't you think our monitor is a bit fat?"   They obviously go by the advertising credo that "sex sells".  Why else have a girl in a bikini holding their product?  And a girl who is skinnier than a computer monitor.  It's no wonder so many girls and women have body image issues with this kind of advertising thrown in our faces.  If this is what we are to believe is normal or desirable then we should all throw in the towel and  have another sleeve of Thin Mints.  And the high heels??  How seductive and gross is that?   This is objectification of women at its grossest.  Sorry to be overusing that word but it is just so applicable.
 
The next couple of paragraphs may seem unrelated to the above so bear with me please. 
 
I had a conversation the other day with the minister that will perform my daughter's wedding ceremony.  He said that she didn't want to be called "Mrs. Grant Williams".  She said that she would change her last name but she wasn't giving up her first name too.  She also didn't want him to ask "Who gives this woman away" or even "Who brings this woman".....like she's someones property to be given away.  These are offensive notions to her. 
 
He thought it funny to say that she is just like me....he may have even meant it as a little bit of a dig but I didn't take it that way because I am proud of her.  I'm proud that she sees herself as a person of value.  I'm glad that she has the temerity to speak up on her own behalf and let people know her own worth.  I'm really super glad that she knows what she thinks and speaks up for herself.  She didn't get this way by accident.  She got this way because every time I saw an ad like the one above I talked about it.  These are some of the things I might have said:
  • Look at that poor sad, skinny woman.  I wonder how she stays healthy.
  • What on earth does a computer monitor have to do with a woman in a bikini? 
  • Samsung is trying to use her to sell their stuff and she is worthy of more.  She isn't an object.   She's a person.  She's someones daughter or sister.
  • That is gross.
  • It is not in God's plan for people to be used in such a way and you have to be aware of the media trying to tell you something that is not true.  Watch for it!!

This is how we raised four feminists.  I say "we" because everyone in the home has to be committed and strong to fight the media onslaught when it comes to stuff like this.  So, about those feminists.....we are completely unapologetic.

No comments: