Wednesday, June 11, 2014

I met some fascinating people yesterday and want to encourage you to come meet them too.  One of our church partners is the Pregnancy Resource Medical Center of Fort Bend County.  Their mission is to be a "non-profit organization dedicated to providing peer counseling, education, and support services to women facing an unplanned or crisis pregnancy".  These are pro-lifers that are putting their time and money where their mouth is.

I have to admit here that the whole pro-life/pro-choice debate is not a comfortable one for me.  Neither is it as black and white for me as it seems to be for many Christians.  The rebel in me wants to rail at a bunch of old guys in Washington telling me what to do with my own body.  Roe vs. Wade is pretty clear on my rights as a woman and yet reproductive rights are under fire more and more (especially in my own state of Texas....for an interesting take on this from Texas Monthly magazine check this out). I believe in the rights of the child but I also believe in the rights of women to choose.  For me this is an issue with massive shades of grey.  It is not black and white.  This is a position with no defense.  

I further admit to you that the people who picket Planned Parenthood are not people I want to identify with no matter what their motive.  As a Christian I feel there ought to be better ways to effect change in the world. Picketing with  ugly signs and harassing hurting women is just not something I can see Jesus doing.

On the other hand, I've long felt that we are altogether debating the wrong thing.  I've often thought that if both sides of this debate put their considerable energy into solutions we'd have one by now.  The people at the Pregnancy Resource Medical Center are doing just that.  They offer parenting classes, marriage classes, counseling, food, clothing, and so much more for families in crisis due to pregnancy.  They are a small drop in the huge ocean of need but they are doing something other than yammering and complaining.  I want to be part of that small drop!

The PRMC offers classes for parents on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10 to 1130 am.  The Children's Ministry of Sugar Grove is going to provide a Bible class and some fun for the kids of the parents attending the Thursday class.  We expect about 20 children, ages 4 years through 12 years and we would love to have your help.  Families are welcome.  Please let me know if you are interested in being a part of this wonderful work.  

I've often felt, in this broken world we live in, we can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. Here is a chance to be part of the solution and in the realm of "what would Jesus do?" I think the answer is clear.  He would be at PRMC on Thursdays with us.....wait....actually, He will be!!! 

No comments: