Friday, January 30, 2009

What does it mean to be a "Cameron"?

After reading the last post someone asked me "What does it mean to be a Cameron'?" That seems pretty self-explanatory to me but I could explain some.

When I was growing up I remember my mom saying, "Don't embarrass me!" (explanation point inferred by the tone of her voice or the situation we were in) I knew that meant that what ever I did, I was not to have my mom feel shame regarding me or my actions. That meant something to me. My mom is a small woman who is southern to the core. Manners (good ones) and decorum are important. We were raised to be polite and respectful children. It seems to me that we (my siblings and I) continue to be polite and respectful in most situations. My parents have 14 grandchildren, ages 23 - 3, and they are much the same. My parents values rubbed off on me and I infected my children with them.

So, this is what it means to be a Cameron. You are frequently reminded of whose child you are....and in case you don't know, you are God's child. You know that your actions reflect upon the rest of us. In so far as your able, you do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. You are polite to those who serve you and you bus your table in a fast food place. Your dad tells corny jokes and makes up silly words to songs, your mom doesn't cook much and your siblings will be quarrelsome on occasion but there is love and respect aplenty. Your differences are valued as are your opinions. There's more but you get the drift.

Your family has these kinds of attitudes/values/dogma....call it what you like. If you really want to impress them upon your kids hearts then identify them and talk about them. Often. If you ask one of my kids "What does it mean to be a Cameron?" I'd bet they'd say a lot of that stuff above. Try it and see. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.
Kathy

2 comments:

Kay said...

One time Kendie (who was VERY young)was at my mom's and I think that something was said on TV. Kendie said, "Stacy girls don't do that!" We had started saying "Stacy girls..." because we didn't want them to say to others that they were WRONG if they said or did some particular thing - just that we didn't do that in OUR family. At least I know that they were getting our message!!

Kathy said...

Awesome!! When peer pressure hits them hard they'll have something to fall back on....I'm not saying that always stops them but I do believe it slows them down some.