Sunday, December 16, 2012

Kids & Christmas: Part 4 - Lies

So who does this describe?  There's this guy.  He's older than your kid.  He knows everything about your kid....when they are being good and when they are being bad.  He wants them to be good.  He watches over everyone.  He is the giver of good gifts and blessings.  No one you know has ever actually seen him but lots of people believe that he is real.  You can go to a play and see him portrayed by an actor.  Sometimes you see movies on TV about him.   Have I just described Jesus or Santa Claus?

I will confess to you that I have had moments of unease over the whole Santa mythos.  I think it's kind of creepy that some guy would sneak into my home while I sleep....even if he does leave presents behind.  I was never really one of those parents that bothered to make it look more real....leaving out cookies and milk, making reindeer tracks outside....you know the type.   I let my kids believe but didn't prolong the belief nor did I try to shorten their time in the innocence of childhood.  I just let it roll out as it would....helplessly watching.

Why?  Well...the short answer is this - what else is a parent to do?  You could be an uber-realist and tell your kid up front that the old guy is a myth and you are really the one leaving the gifts.  This invites your 4 year old to tell the other pre-schoolers the truth of the situation making you the most unpopular family in the neighborhood (next to the family that told their kids about sex too soon...even more awkward)  We are immersed in a culture that wants children to believe in all manner of myth....the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, even creepier Elf on a Shelf (who moves about in the night creating mischief, for goodness sake) and that there will be Social Security when they get old.  We want our children to remain innocent and pure.  That's not a bad thing.  It's a very good thing.  My discomfort comes when I realize that they may wonder what else I've lied about. 

And therein lies my problem.  Will they ever wonder if what I've told them about Jesus is a lie?  Did he ever really live?  Does he really know me and care about me?  How much of that "story" is a myth?  These are weighty questions and I believe the best way to handle them is head on.  Just address it.  When your child is old enough to understand abstract concepts (usually around 9 or 10 years of age) and no longer believes in Santa (that is an age up in the air but you can bet his or her friends with older siblings will know at about this age and will be telling) talk about the differences between Santa and Jesus.  Jesus lived.....scholars can prove that.  Jesus lives still....your own testimony can show that.  Jesus loves.....the Bible tells us so.  Be intentional about telling the story of Jesus...every day....in a personal way.  If you are living the life of a Christ-follower and you address the issues your kids will know the difference between the Truth and a myth. 


NEXT:  Kids & Christmas - Givers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your three recent blogs about Christmas. Knowing your family as I do, I can see each of their personalities and observations in the things you have written. I also appreciate the truth in what you have written. For families of color, like ours, the Santa thing is even more challenging, but the thought processes surrounding Santa and how they relate to Jesus should cause all parents to deeply reflect upon their practices. Recently a friend commented about their Elf on a Shelf tradition (this is new since my kids were young), and I asked why we just couldn't have Jesus on the shelf year round...

Thanks for your enlightening and and inspiring writing.