Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Debacle?

Mother's Day is a holiday with high expectations. It is the one day a year when a mom can be honored just because she is a mom. Breakfast in bed, wonderful gifts and words of love all factor into my personal Mother's Day fantasies. Mostly in that order.

Reality, however, is another matter all together. Reality is we stayed up very late the night before (don't ask) and woke up exhausted. Leah sang on praise team so she had to get to church early. She put blueberry muffins in the oven before she went to church so her dad delivered one as I was throwing on my clothes.

Taylor's idea of the perfect Mother's Day gift is a bear hug (not that I disagree). Adam couldn't come because he has finals the week after Mother's Day and he needed to study but he did call. Ryan told me in advance that although he was through with finals he had much to do and wasn't into "that whole Mother's Day thing anyway". He was kidding.....I think. As a final blow to the day, I had planned and prepared a lunch for my mom and dad but they got sick and stayed home. I confess that I shed a few tears over the way the day was progressing and it was only noon!

The rest of the day began to look up as my brother and his family came for lunch. We had a wonderful time of eating, laughing and reminiscing. We went to Tomball to visit my mother-in-law who has Alzheimer's and lives in a nursing home. Taking the time to feed her and sit with her reminded me of how blessed I have been to have her as a second mother. Upon returning home we discovered that Ryan was there to surprise me! Another big hug for a Mother's Day present and the day was nearly complete. We wrapped up the day with a movie. "Star Trek" was awesome!

So, what did I learn? Several things: 1. a day is a very long piece of time and it can be ruined and made anew several times throughout its course 2. children will do what children will do and it is best to love them just as God gave them to us and 3. Mother's Day isn't as important as actually being a mother and I'm an outrageously blessed mother.

Kathy

No comments: