Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Up" Review

It is difficult to know where to begin in describing this delicious movie. First, let me say take a tissue! I cried throughout the movie and tears really flowed on three separate occasions. These were tears of sadness only once and, parents be warned, there is a very sad scene early on in the movie. The other tears came because my heart was touched.

This movie is about adventure, loss, friendship, love in many forms, and very distractible dogs. It will make you laugh, think and cry. All four of my children reported tears (and three of them are boys in their 20's!). It isn't really appropriate for very young children. There are intense scenes of danger and some violence - the bad guy shoots at the good guys with a shotgun - but all in all it is a fine movie with many valuable lessons for those old enough to understand.

At its heart "Up" is about knowing that the journey is the thing and not the destination. The friends and loved ones we gain and lose along the way are what make the journey enjoyable. I loved the movie but you'll need to pardon me now because I need to go blot my eyes and wipe my nose.

Kathy

3 comments:

Kay said...

Define "young" - too much for Emee and Kendie?? I know nothing about this movie...just like most movies! All I am hoping for is some good ones out when we are childless in a couple of weeks!! :o)

Kathy said...

I know I sent this to you via blackberry but I wanted it on the site as well. I think it's important to realize that each kid is different in what they can handle. The dogs are intense and scary. I found myself gripping Jeff's hand throughout the scene. Also, the protagonists are an old man and a little kid....not super heroes or machines. It's very easy to relate to their peril and some imaginative, sensitive kids may find it too much. As a parent you know if yours can handle it.

I have one grown child who refuses to see horror movies, even when his friends pressure him. He knows what will make him sleepless and he avoids it. I think that's a good thing!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

I did not know you had a blog. I'll have to be a follower!
Thanks for this heads up about "Up". (ha ha) I was planning on taking the boys to a matinee showing sometime this week. Perhaps I'll wait on that. Grant gets extremely emotionally involved with characters (good and bad guys) in all stories, so this may be too much for him. Whew! That was a close one. I guess I'll need to see it first and then decide if it's approrpiate for him or not. Gee - and to think that I figured it was "safe" b/c it's a cartoon. Guess I really have a lot to learn.