Saturday, June 13, 2009

How are we born?

Those of you who know me know that I am tip-top of my head deep in VBS and have absolutely no time to post. However, I saw a bumper sticker today that almost made me pull my car over. I was struck by the utter truth of this little piece of paper stuck to the bumper ahead of me in traffic. It said, "NO ONE'S BORN A BIGOT". I was, and continue to be, blown away by this rather simple statement.

It was Sigmund Freud who touted the concept of 'tabula rosa'. He said that we are 'blank slates' upon birth and it is largely one's family and upbringing that make us who we are. I don't know if I believe that wholy but I do believe that prejudice, bigotry and hatred are taught. Children are born to love and be loved. It is the adults in their lives that teach them otherwise. Teaching with words and actions our children learn to love and hate.

Dr. David Elkins is a professor of psychology at Pepperdine University and is responsible for one of my favorite quotes:

“Certainly the most important thing parents can do for their children’s spiritual development is embody and practice spiritual values in their own lives…If parents place spiritual values above material ones; if they are kind to each other, love their children, value their friends, and treat others with fairness; if they seek to rid their own hearts of racism, sexism, and other forms of intolerance; if they speak up for the dispossessed and engage in compassionate actions in their world; if they love God and treat their neighbor with respect – their children will observe and absorb these values.”

No one's born a bigot......indeed! What are your children learning?

Kathy

No comments: