Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Grant and Leah

This is Grant and Leah.  For those of you who know me you know that Leah is my daughter.  My youngest child and only daughter.  She is a Senior at Abilene Christian University and while she was there she met Grant.  They fell in love and plan to get married next June.  Isn't the above picture cute?  Let me tell you about that moment.

We had planned a family trip to San Antonio for a weekend near the end of August.  Leah left early Friday morning and drove to Austin (where Grant has a new job and new apartment).  She was waiting for the delivery of a couch.  When Grant got home from work they left Austin to join us in San Antonio.  On the way there he stopped the car under the guise of a possible flat tire and when she got out to look he was down on one knee with "the ring".  She said "YES!!" and did a happy dance all the way to San Antonio.  We were thrilled.  We love Grant.

The picture!  Get to the picture!

So, the next morning (she's still doing the happy dance....I was afraid her cheeks would break from all the smiling) we go to breakfast and I'm sitting across from Grant.  At some point as I'm looking at him I think to myself, "there he is.  There's that little boy I've been praying for all of her life."   And it's true.  We prayed for him to be loving and love God, to be strong and brave, to be sweet and gentle, to be someone that could care about her happiness and her soul.  And there he was....all that we had prayed for.  It was a moment that had me swallowing back the lump in my throat.  God is good and He answers prayers.

I know that someone reading this has a small child so let me encourage you to pray for your child's future mate.  He or she is out there being parented, living a life, and becoming the person your child will love and make a life with.  Don't let that be a scary thought...let that motivate you to pray for that child.  You'll meet them one day and be glad you did!

By the way, that monstrosity sitting on the table between us?  We were at a place that prides itself on its 3 POUND CINNAMON ROLLS!!!!!  Oh yeah!  Good stuff!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As I was sitting beside you at that moment, I thought you were trying to swallow a lump of that giant cinnamon roll!

I agree. Don't underestimate the power of prayer. And should our little ones marry someone who on the surface isn't what we expected, then know that God sees deeper inside them and longer into their future, and just keep praying.

I expect even if they appear perfect, a few prayers on the rest of their journey will be time well spent!