Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Care and Feeding of Myself

Re-read the title of this installment, please.  This is something that I fail at....miserably.  It's really easy for me to get caught up in the next project, the minutiae of the day, and/or simply putting one step in front of the other.  I tend to have a more outward focus on the people, places and things around me.  I'm an extravert....through and through.  That's not a bad thing (IMHO) but it does have a dark side (sort of like the Force).  I tend to ignore my own need to stop occasionally and be at peace.  Frankly, it's hard to hear what God is saying to me when I'm yammering all the time. 

This summer I had several people ask me what I do to nurture my own spiritual self.  This is a question that took me off guard every time it was asked.  The third time I heard it I began to figure that God was trying to tell me something.  Maybe something like this...."Please slow down and stop doing....planning.....thinking...just be."  I think He's trying to tell me something and I'm too busy to listen.  This is not a good long term plan.

So, here is my short term plan.  I'm going to Summit at ACU.  Today.  Abilene Christian University holds this event every year.  It used to be called "Lectureship"....they wisely changed the name to Summit and bill it as "a conversation where life and faith converge in Christ."  It's a series of lectures (really) and worship times.  Summit offers renewal and refreshment.  Part of me cannot wait....part of me dreads it (it's been a long time since I sat and listened to an adult talk for any length of time....not sure I can do this).  All of me knows this will be good for me.  I need this so I'm going.

Please pray for me (and Jeff, as he will be with me).  Please ask God to give me patience and an attention span longer than your average 3 year old.  Please ask God to give me an open mind and that renewal indeed be the outcome.  Finally, pray for a safe journey there and back again.  Thanks. 

See you later in the week!!!

No comments: